Alright, so I love these items. And this is the second father - son item we've listed today [see the Timothy Edwards sermon on the dignity of the Christian ministry].
We have available a limited number of sermons written entirely in the hand of Matthew Henry [1662-1714], the famed Puritan Bible commentator and divine, taken from his father, Philip Henry's [1631-1696] original sermons. All are unpublished and to our knowledge the originals, in his father's hand, are not extant.
There is something especially touching about a son seeing enough of Jesus and the work of grace in a parent that he would take the time to dig into his father's personal effects and copy down his father's sermons in long-hand just so that he would have them for himself. It says something about the father and the authenticity of his walk with God; and it say something about the son and his ability to recognize the godliness of a doubtless flawed parent.
These are really special fully legible, and available on a first come, first serve basis. I plan on preserving three of them myself; one for each of my sons, as a way of expressing my hope that somehow the flicker of a work of grace in my life has been sufficient to see Jesus by. These would also make a wonderful gift for a parent.
To order, simply check out on the website and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your chosen text. If it is not marked sold in this listing, it is still available.
The texts available include:
1. I Kings 3.9a . . . Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart. 16pp.
2. I Kings 3.9b . . . Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart. 16pp.
3. Psalm 49.13 . . . This their way is their folly; yet their posterity approve their sayings. Selah. 20pp.
4. Psalm 104.34 . . . My meditation of him shall be sweet. 16pp
5. John 3.3 . . . Jesus answered and sayd unto him, verily verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again, hee cannot see ye kingdom of God. 16pp.
6. Luke 22. 19, 20 . . . And hee took the Bread and gave thanks and brake it and gave unto them, saying, this is my Body which is given for you; this doe in remembrance of mee. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying this cup is ye new testament in my Bloud, which is shed for you. 12pp.
SOLD 7. Matthew 21.43 . . . therefore say I unto you, the Kingdom of God shall be taken from you and given to a Nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. 20pp
8. Further on Hell. Fascinating lecture notes on Hell, the nature of Hell, the Devil and Demons, etc. 12pp.
9. Genesis 3.19 . . . from dust thou art come and unto dust thou shalt return. 12pp.
These will be mailed with a special, custom sleeve and a description of their history and provenance. Please note that sleeves are under construction and may delay delivery.
A similar item was sold at Addison & Sarova Auctions earlier this year. It sold for $650 per leaf; these are being offered at between $150 and $200 per leaf.